I, Jessica Elizabeth, have an addiction. It’s to pinterest…and it’s getting pretty serious.
All jokes aside, I think it’s such an incredible website to share thoughts and ideas. Since it’s the holidays, I’ve been doing way more DIY’s than I normall would, so I thought I’d share them with you. This isn’t normally something I would do on my cooking website, but I get so excited when I make something and it works out, and maybe one of you could make it as a gift, or just for something fun for yourself!
So, without further ado, here are some of my Instagram photos of the week. If you want to see more outtakes and DIY’s, go follow me!
1) DIY Glitter Candle Jars: Look how it sparkles and glows! This was such an easy and fun project. You know those small jar-less candles? I had a bunch of them in Christmas scents, and thought this would add an extra Christmas element to the room. I used a little modge podge and brushed the outside of a mason jar. I sprinkled gold and silver glitter on the glue, and let dry. Once it was fully dry, I delicately added another layer of modge podge to try to keep the glitter stuck on there. Then, insert a candle and you’re done! SO easy. I’ve seen tutorials where they put the glue and glitter INSIDE, and I wouldnt reccomend it. Both can be highly flammable, and although it’s probably okay, you’re better safe than sorry!
2) Wine is So Delightful Glass: Hehe- this one was fun. I saw this quote on pinterest and thought it’d be so cute on a glass. Granted, my handwriting isn’t the best, but it makes me happy and it’s for my personal use. If you wanted to make these as gifts, you could get really fancy with it! All I did was wash the glass thoroughly (dollar store glass, by the way). Once it was dry, I used a sharpie to write the message. If you make a mistake, the sharpie will come off with a little water, so take your time getting it right. Then, take that trusty modge podge again, and brush a layer on top. I’m not sure how well it would go through the dishwasher, but I just hand wash it and it’s great! Perfect for a Christmas party. You could make a bunch for everyone to drink from. My other favorite, which I made for Alex, says “It’s the most wonderful time to Drink Beer”
3) Last night we went to my parent’s house and decorated the tree. My Dad had this cozy fire going when we got there. And, of course, Yukon Cornelius is keeping warm in the corner!
4) Alex and I surprised my Dad and brought a “Major Award”! Any of you who have seeen A Christmas Story will know this box well. The “Frageelay” box that carries the leg lamp. We made the box out of old pallets, and I wrote Fragile on the box with a sharpie. We bought him the 20 inch Leg lamp, which is perfect for a table lamp and not too big.
5) Here is the completed tree at my parent’s house. I love it when the tree is done. It makes the house so cozy and festive.
6) DIY Snow Globes: This one is my favorite. I laminated pictures of my Niece and Nephew. I took mason jars and hot glued a fake tree and their laminated photos to the top of the jar. I filled the jar with water, glitter, and a few drops of glycerin (to slow down the glitter). Once the glue was dry, I screwed on the top, and hot glued it shut. I think epoxy or something stronger would be a better option. The globes leak a TINY bit now and again, but I think it’s because the hot glue isn’t a water tight seal. I just told my siblings to store them up right for long periods of time to avoid a few drops of water on the furniture. Experiment with it and let me know how it works for you!
Well, I hope you liked my DIYs and outtakes of the week. Let me know if this is something you guys enjoy!
Follow me by email (the subscribe box is at the bottom of the page), or follow along on one of my other websites: